Bruce Stark was a staff artist with the N.Y. Daily News for 22 years (1960-1982) creating sports cartoons and caricatures of famous people. He won the National Cartoonist's Rueben Category Award for "Best Sports Cartoonist of the Year" for 1966 and again for 1975, as well as "Best Special Features Cartoonist" for 1968.
In 1970, 1971 and 1973, he won the N.Y. Newspaper Guild's Page 1 award for Best Sports Cartoon of the Year and many other awards for which he as been listed in the Marquis' original "Who's Who in America" for over 20 years. His work is in the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. and the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Ma.
Bruce has also created covers for various magazines, including Time Magazine, Fortune, Forbes and T.V. Guide, as well as numerous paperback covers and inside artwork for many publications including Reader's Digest, The Saturday Evening Post and Gold Digest.
Below are a few quick-facts and accomplishments of Bruce Stark:
• Sports Cartoonist, Short-term Political Cartoonist & Special Features Illustrator for the N.Y. Daily News for 22 years
• Bruce's "Stark Impressions" feature appeared in the Coloroto Section of the Sunday N.Y. Daily News
• Won National Cartoonist Society's Reubens Catagory Awards for Sports in 1966 & 1975 and Special Features Award in 1968
• Won Page 1 Award for N.Y.C. Best Sports Cartoon in 1970, 1971 & 1973
• Won 3rd, 4th, 6th prizes at the International Salon de Caricatures, Montreal 1966, 1968, 1969
• Won Most Outstanding Achievement Award, School of Visual Arts, 1982
• One-man art shows, Art Institute, Pittsburgh, University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown, Pa., 1970, N.Y. Bank for Savings, N.Y.C. 1971
• Represented in permanent collections Everett Dirksen Library, L.D. Johnson Library, Baseball Hall of Fame, Basketball Hall of Fame
• Original Cartoons requested by Presidents Nixon & Johnson
• Commissioned to do Ted Williams Museum's annual magazine cover
• Bruce had illustrations on the covers of Time, Forbes, Fortune, TV Guide, and Industry Week magazines
• Work appeared in Golf Digest, Reader's Digest, Saturday Evening Post, Madd Comics & Sports Collector's Digest
• Received Cleveland Press Club's Excellence in Journalism Award for Illustration
• Art and Caricatures requested by numerous personalities including Art Carney, Suzanne Pleshette, Priscilla Presley, Buddy Hackett, Ted Williams, Xavier Cougart to name a few
• Illustrated the cover of the book, "Wit & Wisdom of Yogi Berra"
• 1969 Met's World Series Album
• Mrs. Babe Ruth requested his Sports Cartoon of the Babe
Feel free to visit Bruce's online art gallery to see quite a few samples of his work. To acquire one of Bruce Stark's originals, you can call (321) 777-4516 or e-mail him at email@example.com.